Sunday, June 10, 2007

To Protect and to Surf


The Surfrider Foundation and the surf community descended onto Westport this weekend to celebrate the 6th Annual Cleanwater Classic, which is basically a small surf contest and big party.

I have always been fascinated with surfers and surfing. Growing up 20 minutes from the big wave surf of the North Shore of Oahu, I have a very solid respect for the ocean. I was caught in way too many close calls in the shorebreak to really ever feel comfortable in the surf, although I consider myself a strong swimmer. I was also quite a dork growing up, so I never had the opportunity to try surfing. So now as an adult, and with all of my adult wisdom, I am highly interested in learning. I do have an aversion to (1) squeezing my large body into a wetsuit and (2) immersing my island grown ass into 65 degree seas. However, its still on my list of "things to do", and maybe on day you'll read all about it here.

In the meantime, watching the surfing is an adventure in and of itself. The contest headquarters were located at the Islander Motel, and each morning, they would post where the surfing would occur (whether at Half Moon Bay or at the Jetty or the Groins).

Unfortunately, I won't be able to report what it was truly like at this particular time, because, well it was foggy and chilly and I can honestly say that I didn't actually make it to see any heats. I only peeked in at the post-surf party (and I mostly did that for the hawaiian plate lunch).

But, all around town, surfers were everywhere to be found, and do they ever know how to throw a party. The nice thing is that it increases awareness for the Surfrider Foundation, which is dedicated to the preservation of the oceans. Maybe next year, I'll be in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment